MON JUN 29, 2015 by Walter EinenkelCue the phrase “liberal media” because everyone’s favorite blunt object just got more bad business news.
The network is “ending its business relationship” with Trump over his “recent derogatory statements” regarding immigrants, the company said in a statement Monday.
“To that end, the annual Miss USA and Miss Universe Pageants, which are part of a joint venture between NBC and Trump, will no longer air on NBC,” the statement continued. “In addition, as Mr. Trump has already indicated, he will not be participating in The Apprentice on NBC.”
Donald Trump has already shown how to lose jobs both abroad and at home—just by talking and being himself. This guy should be riding an actual elephant into the GOP debates—he’s willing to tell it like the Republicans actually think it is.
Last Week Tonight s02e19
Filed to: BILL O’REILLY 5/18/15
Three weeks ago, a Nassau County Supreme Court justice ended a bitter three-year custody dispute between Fox News anchor Bill O’Reilly and his ex-wife, Maureen McPhilmy, by granting custody of the couple’s two minor children to McPhilmy. Though nearly all documents pertaining to New York family court cases are sealed, Gawker has learned that the justice in the case heard testimony accusing O’Reilly of physically assaulting his wife in the couple’s Manhasset home.
According to a source familiar with the facts of the case, a court-appointed forensic examiner testified at a closed hearing that O’Reilly’s daughter claimed to have witnessed her father dragging McPhilmy down a staircase by her neck, apparently unaware that the daughter was watching. The precise date of the alleged incident is unclear, but appears to have occurred before the couple separated in 2010. The same source indicated that the daughter, who is 16 years old, told the forensic examiner about the incident within the past year.
After this post was published, Bill O’Reilly denied the allegation of abuse, telling Politico’s Dylan Byers late Monday: “All allegations against me in these circumstances are 100% false. I am going to respect the court-mandated confidentiality put in place to protect my children and will not comment any further.” Update
Gawker has published court transcripts which corroborate our source’s account of the domestic violence allegation that O’Reilly denied. You can read those transcripts here.
The apparent domestic violence assault would be the latest in a series of revelations about O’Reilly’s disturbing treatment of his family members, and his ex-wife in particular.
O’Reilly and McPhilmy separated in April 2010, after which McPhilmy began dating a Nassau County Police detective named Jeffrey Gross. Upon learning of their relationship, as Gawker reported in 2011, O’Reilly called up his high-placed connections within the NCPD to have something done about Gross. Since O’Reilly was helping raise money for the department’s associated charity, the Nassau County Police Department Foundation, his calls sparked an internal affairs investigation into Gross and his relationship with McPhilmy—an incredible waste of police resources, and a devious way of getting back at McPhilmy by harassing her new boyfriend.
The O’Reillys formalized their divorce in September 2011, and agreed to share custody of their school-aged children. As part of their agreement, the couple assigned a neutral therapist named Lynne Kulakowski to arbitrate any potential custodial disputes, should they happen to arise in the future. Shortly thereafter, however, McPhilmy learned that O’Reilly had in fact added Kulakowski to his household payroll so she could serve as a full-time nanny—in which capacity, as a judge later explained, she was required “to perform virtually all of [O’Reilly’s] parental duties.”
In a unanimous decision two years ago, a New York appeals court ruled that O’Reilly’s behavior “could undermine the integrity” of their joint-custody agreement and ordered a trial court to consider McPhilmy’s petition for sole custody.
While all of this was going on, as Gawker reported in March 2013, O’Reilly was trying to get McPhilmy excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church, in which the couple married in 1996. McPhilmy even received a letter from her local parish, another Long Island institution where O’Reilly enjoys influence, admonishing her for taking communion. (In the Church, divorcing and remarrying is considered a grave offense to God.) At the same time, O’Reilly was seeking a formal annulment—a procedure most commonly sought for marriages that last less than a year—for his and McPhilmy’s 15-year-long matrimony.
We were able corroborate the fact that the justice issued a decision in the case, and that O’Reilly has appealed it, at the Nassau County Clerk’s office in Mineola. Neither O’Reilly nor McPhilmy responded to requests for comment. A representative for Fox News Channel did not return messages.
O’Reilly’s lack of response is especially worth noting. The anchor has spent his highly remunerated career obsessing over patterns of violence among racial minorities, particularly black people, and the apparently unique effect of violence on the integrity of black families. As he fulminated on-air in December 2014: “The astronomical crime rate among young black men—violent crime—drives suspicion and hostility. … No supervision, kids with no fathers—the black neighborhoods are devastated by the drug gangs who prey upon their own. That’s the problem!”
Or, as O’Reilly claimed in August: “The reason there is so much violence and chaos in the black precincts is the disintegration of the African-American family.”
To which one can only reasonably add…
via Question Everything.
Jun 3rd, 2015
Today is Welles’ centenary, and what better way to mark the occasion than to rebroadcast this near infamous item…
NewseumUploaded on 28 Oct 2011
On Halloween eve in 1938, the power of radio was on full display when a dramatization of the science-fiction novel “The War of the Worlds” scared the daylights out of many of CBS radio’s nighttime listeners.
FRIDAY, MAR 6, 2015
“It is a very slippery and dangerous slope because there’s no arguing with a machine”
Google could launch an effort to keep trolls and bad information at bay, with a program that would rank websites according to veracity, and sort results according to those rankings. Currently, the search engine ranks pages according to popularity, which means that pages containing unsubstantiated celebrity gossip or conspiracy theories, for example, show up very high.
New Scientist’s Hal Hodson reports on the proposed Knowledge-Based Trust score:
The software works by tapping into the Knowledge Vault, the vast store of facts that Google has pulled off the internet. Facts the web unanimously agrees on are considered a reasonable proxy for truth. Web pages that contain contradictory information are bumped down the rankings.
Google has recently implemented a kind of Knowledge-Based Truth score lite with it’s medical search results. Now, doctors and real medical experts vet search results about health conditions, meaning anti-vaxx propaganda will not appear in the top results for a “measles” search, for instance.
Even though the former program is just in the research stage, some anti-science advocates are upset about the potential development, likely because their websites will become buried under content that is, well, true.
“I worry about this issue greatly,” said Anthony Watts, founder of climate denying website “Watts Up With That,” in an interview with FoxNews.com. “My site gets a significant portion of its daily traffic from Google… It is a very slippery and dangerous slope because there’s no arguing with a machine.”
Rich Noyes, research director at the conservative Media Research Center told Fox News that media watchdogs that would likely be influencing these truth rankings are more sympathetic to liberal ideals. “They’re very good at debunking myths if they upset liberals,” he said, “but if it’s a liberal or left-wing falsehood, the fact-checkers don’t seem as excited about debunking it.”
THU MAR 05, 2015
by Leslie Salzillo
Reports are flying that the large Chicago Cumulus radio station WLS 890 am is about to drop Conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh. Cumulus is denying the leak, however today’s industry rumor closely follows a very out-of-character post by Limbaugh on his officialFacebook page.
‘Now that I’ve outgrown the 25-54 demographic, I’m no longer confident I see the world as everybody else does.’ Hold the phone, what? It’s hard to believe these defeatist words would come from El Rushbo, the self-proclaimed, ego-driven, ‘Mayor of Realsville’. Rush Limbaugh’s post was published not even 24 hours before media veteran Robert Feder came out with his article reporting a WLS ‘leak’ that Limbaugh is being dropped, after being with the station for 25 years.
There are hard facts here. The network continues to lose money in big numbers. WLS’s revenue dropped from $13 million in 2013 to less than $9.5 million in 2014. The article also states that the overall market was down 10 percent last year. Feder adds:
If all goes as planned, Limbaugh’s syndicated talk show, which airs from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday, will be dropped by the end of March, according to insiders at WLS.
A Cumulus Media spokeswoman [at first] declined immediate comment. But a source familiar with the decision said it was based on the show’s diminished ratings andfailure to generate advertising revenue for the station, adding: “It’s impossible to sell.”
This is not to say Rush Limbaugh will not show up on another Chicago station. We’ve been through this before with Cumulus crying poverty and whining that the Rush Limbaugh boycotts were dragging their revenue down. Then in August of 2013, media rumors lit up social mediaafter Politico ‘leaked’ Limbaugh was being dropped by the network. Two weeks later, Cumulus and Limbaugh signed a new deal. It may have been a publicity stunt, or possibly a way for Cumulus to drive down the cost of a new deal with Limbaugh. Only the knowing parties are privy to that information.
This, however, seems different. Time Magazine and The Wall Street Journal now confirm the ‘failure to generate ad revenue’ is, in fact, due to social media campaigns like StopRush/BoycottRush/FlushRush. Limbaugh is not only in trouble himself; he has also become a huge ball and chain to the radio industry. Last week, IHeart Media (formerly Clear Channel) which carries the Rush Limbaugh Show on over 500 stations, reported a quarterly loss of $309 Million, adding to there billions of debt. It continues to look grim for the aging media bully, well known for hate speech, racism, misogyny, and homophobia.
A new surge in the Limbaugh protest is taking place. In addition to the Time and WSJ articles, the Rush Limbaugh Sponsor Boycott Petition reached 126k signatures last week, gaining over 20,000 new signees in 10 days. Real live people are publicly giving their names, addresses, and email addresses to Change.org in order to let Limbaugh sponsors know these consumers refuse to buy from companies that support hate speech/hate radio. And it’s working. It’s been working, due to hundreds of thousand of protestors/petitioners/boycotter and some very hard-working StopRush/FlushRush volunteers. The fruits of their labor might just now be ready to reap.
Talk radio’s hate-monger has good reason to admit words of defeat on his Facebook page. Rush Limbaugh is losing. The American public is winning. How great is that.
Updates Will Follow
Here is how everyday people have gotten involved with this highly effective protest against Rush Limbaugh and Hate Radio:
Sign: Limbaugh Sponsor & Clear Channel Petition
Visit/Like: BoycottRush Facebook Group
Join: The Fight To Flush Rush
Visit: StopRush.net for an extensive list of Limbaugh Sponsors
Twitter: #FlushRush and #StopRush
Special thanks to Margaret A. from BoycottRush, and Freya Malin for your continued work and dedication to this cause.
And thank you, Daily Kos Diarist Richard Myers. Rest in peace, brother. We miss you, and we will finish this.
ORIGINALLY POSTED TO LESLIE SALZILLO ON THU MAR 05, 2015
ALSO REPUBLISHED BY SLUTS, MEDIA WATCH, AND LAND OF LINCOLN KOS.